Education Committee Plan
Solving the skilled labor shortage one project at a time
There is a national and local manufacturing skilled labor shortage. This is due primarily to people not realizing manufacturing exists in the USA let alone Volusia and Flagler counties and the area. The VMA, through its Education Committee, has developed a plan of action called Dream It! Do It! to help solve this serious problem. It will publicize the image of Advanced Manufacturing to the public and especially parents and teachers. It works to inspire young people to seek and prepare for careers in Advanced Manufacturing, improve the public's image of manufacturing and influence schools to embrace manufacturing careers .
Here's What You Can Do Now!
- Career Display Boards at the Advanced Technology College and Local High Schools (manufacturers produce large posters that will tell who they are, show their products and list all the careers and jobs it takes to run the company. Click here to see examples.
- Adopt an Academy: Local manufacturers adopt a manufacturing related high school academy.
This means a manufacturer could:
- Serve on the Academy Advisory Board
- Serve on the Career Connection Cadre
- Provide paid or unpaid internships as needed and business permits
- Provide guest speakers
- Provide tours and demos
- Participate in curriculum development and revision
- Provide real world problems & projects for student teams to solve
- Judge robotics competitions
- Give cash donations
- Serve as a mentor
- Participate in mock student interviews
- You decide...
- Manufacturers Speakers Bureau: VMA manufacturers speak to each engineering and manufacturing related Academies, ERAU engineering classes, DSC STEM classes, TRADE students and PTOs.
- Provide internships for the Volusia County Schools manufacturing -related Academies, ERAU mechanical engineering and business students and Daytona State College students enrolled in manufacturing training programs.
- Support and provide internships and jobs to students in the Daytona State College TRADE advanced manufacturing training program.
- Join the Advisory Council
- Review curricula and courses to insure training matches skills needed)
- Provide student plant tours
If we don't do it, who will?
Manufacturing Champions School Counselor Bus Tour